I've observed that negative people often adopt a defeatist mindset, taking on the role of a victim, while positive people often adopt a solution-oriented mindset and set about creating their own opportunities. Consequently, I've come to understand that having a positive attitude indeed makes a significant difference not only in a person's level of success, but also in their enjoyment of their life. It even determines whether they succeed at all.
But here's the unusual thing... NO ONE VIEWS HIMSELF OR HERSELF AS A NEGATIVE PERSON!
People who are negative view themselves as "realistic". (Wait a minute... isn't "reality" a matter of perspective?) So the challenge is to determine whether you're a "negative" person.
Here are some guidelines:
* If you feel that your course in life and business is determined by others, then you need to adjust your attitude so you can shift your reality.
* If you feel that the cards are often stacked against you, then you need to adjust your attitude so you can change your reality.
* If you feel that your company, manager, agents, and/or clients don't support you, then you need to adjust your attitude so you can change your reality.
We each have the ability and power to literally change our reality.
How does one turn a negative attitude into a positive one? The same way someone with a positive attitude maintains it. You need to eliminate the negative inputs, influences, and factors in your life and introduce positive ones. We're bombarded with messages throughout the day and night. Some of them are good and some of them are just plain bad for you. We get "messages" from family, friends, coworkers, radio, newspaper, TV, music, the internet, billboards, books, magazines, and any number of other sources. If YOU don't decide what goes into your head, then someone else will. You need to take control of what you feed your mind.
Here are some tips on how to adjust and maintain your attitude:
Eliminate the Negatives
* Stop reading the newspaper
* Stop watching TV news
* Stop seeking the negative on the internet
* Stop hanging around negative people
* Start hanging around positive people
* Start reading motivational or inspirational books - biographies, personal growth, success
* Start listening to CD's - motivational, personal growth, uplifting music, etc.
Does attitude really count? Can attitude really change your reality? I guess it all depends on your perspective...
About Michael Beck
Michael Beck is the Founder and President of Michael Beck International, a leadership development and employee engagement consulting firm, headquartered in Portland, OR. He is passionate about helping leaders bring out the best in others, and utilizes executive coaching to improve their effectiveness, broaden their strategic thinking, and maintain their focus on execution.
Over his 30+ years of domestic and international experience, Michael has developed a keen ability to sort through the clutter and find the best route to a solution. His distinct way of thinking allows him to see patterns where others simply see complexity, which has proven especially useful in the strategic work he does for his clients.
For web users who would prefer to subscribe to the web feed, click the "Feed" button below.